... Elxis version 2009.3 codename Aphrodite is out, download it from Elxis Download Center (EDC) ...
What is Elxis Administrator
From Elxis Official Documentation
Every single web page build with Elxis open source cms is divided in to two main sections, the fronted which is what actually a visitor of the webpage sees and to the backed which is the place where residing all controls of the webpage appearance and content management! This backed is the Administrator area where webpage owner can Administrate what visitors will see when visiting the webpage!
Administrator area beyond the controls over the fronted includes also various tools for controlling other actions relative to users, files, the administrator area it's self or over the webserver!
Elxis Administrator Area is accessible via an url simillar to this format:
www.domain.com/administrator or if you have installed elxis in a sub-dir www.domain.com/subdir/administrator
When visiting this area a login form appears requesting a username and password in order to allow access!
The username and password that submitted during the installation of elxis cms or those ones that submitted by the user(after installation) in the Users Manager inside Administrator's Area.
Administrator area and it's login page is accessible through a web address(url) wildly known to public!
Elxis Team has development a security mechanism to "hide" the Administrator's area login page from unauthorized visitors and possible attackers, this mechanism is what we call Login Page Cloaking ...
Login page cloaking is an option not enabled by default, Elxis Team strongly recommends to enable it among other security settings which we describe in detail in the security section of this documentation!
Elxis has various user access levels or if you prefer user groups!
Access Level of the user determinate the permissions that a user has in order to approach and perform actions on various areas of Elxis cms, even in the fronted or the backed(Administrator).
The user which is configured during the installation of Elxis cms is automatically assigned to Super Administrator group and has all permissions to perform all action for both fronted and Administrator area
Since user logs in the Administrator area can view a variety of links, buttons , image-buttons and panels.
Top navigation bar
The most important tool for managing and configure elxis cms system is the top navigation bar. There exists all setting options of elxis and the extensions of it, components, modules , bots and other tools listed below.
Navigation bar items
- Home: A button linked back to administrator's area first page.
- Site tab including:
- Menu: for create and managing menus and links
- Content tab including:
- Content by Section... choose a section and view items only from this section.
- Content by category... choose a category and view items only from this category.
- Content by Language... choose a language and view items only from this language.
- Submitted Content... view content summited from fronted and waiting for administrator's approval.
- All content items
- Autonomous Pages Manager
- Sections Manager
- Categories Manager
- Frontpage Manager
- Archive Manager... for managing archived items.
- Installers: under this tab you can find all installers together for ,bots,modules,components,templates.languages
- Messages: manage ,send,read and setup the messaging system for administrator's area users.
- System tab including:
- * Global checkin... to unlock all locked items at once!
- * System Information... various information about elxis version, server, php version.
- Tools include various tools such as:
- Chomd Tool... Changes mode to a given file or folder.
- Clean Cache... Cleans cache directory from cached content items and images.
- Elxis Defender
- Empty temporary Files... Empties Elxis temporary folder (/tmpr).
- Fix Language... Performs a check in multilingual database tables and applies fixes where needed.
- Fix Postgres Sequences... Fixes Postgres sequences if needed.
- FloodBlocker... prevents flood attacks on your Elxis site.
- Logins Recorder... Logins Recorder logs any login attempt to the administration panel (successful or not).
- Organizer... Elxis Organizer keeps your contacts, notes, bookmarks and appointments
- Shortcuts... Manage your shortcuts in control panel
- Updiag... Helps you update your site, notifies you about new Elxis releases, versions and patches and provides you security and diagnostic tasks.
In this panel included the most common actions that Super Administrator needs to take in order to control some basic components,functions and other tools.
Control panel items actually are pre-installed, non-editable shortcuts pointing to certain items from top navigation bar. You can add more items to control panel by using the link at the bottom "manage shortcuts"! Depending on the user's access level this control panel accordingly listing objects that the user has permission to manage.
At the botom of the screen there is a link "Manage Shortcuts" , if you follow it you will be redirected to the shortcuts manager page (which actually resides under site tools tab in the top navigation bar.).
There you are able to manage your control panel shortcuts. You can add or remove more shortcuts to various destinations according to your needs.
Note that you can't remove or edit the default pre-installed control panel items.
In the right of the screen there is a panel with five tabs. Each one of them provides various informations about the system and it's status.Read bellow a short description for each one of this five tabs and their content!
Information panel Items
- Logged - Displays a list of users currently logged on (both in Administration Panel and the Front-End). Click on a user's name to go to the User Edit page for that user.
- Components - Shows a list with the installed components and lets you interact with them.
- Popular - Shows the most popular content items. Click a Content Item to edit it.
- Latest Items - Click on this shortcut tab to access the screen which lists the most recently added Content items. Also shows the creation date and the author. Click a Content item to edit it.
- Menu Stats - Shows the defined menus and the number of items they contain.